Monday, June 22, 2020

BEFORE & AFTER | FRENCH COUNTRY MASTER BEDROOM

Good Morning Everyone! The day has finally come, and I am finally able to show you our bedroom makeover. (!!!) 

While I'm not a professional on any scale, I can be pretty particular about how I want a space to feel and look...so there have been lots of trial runs, thinking sessions, returns, and a whole scrap pile of ideas that didn't work out. 

Let's start with a picture of our bedroom as we first saw it:


I know right.... 

Last night Ethan and I were looking through all the pictures of our house from our first look to now...and I'm so floored by how far it has come in the last few years. Sometimes in all our dreaming and goal-setting we forget how much we have already accomplished!


We decided to peel back the wood paneling and see what kind of walls were behind it. Thankfully, there was solid shiplap - which held loads of potential. 



I wanted to mention here that we are so blessed to have a very "handy" and "D.I.Y." family and church family that pitched in to help us paint our whole house while I was in the hospital having Haven. 

Ethan and I married in August of 2015, then bought our house in May of 2016, while anticipating the arrival of Miss Haven in August of that year as well. Obviously, we aren't the type who like to wait around and let life pass us by, so we jumped into our new lifewith both feet! 

 There were so many structural things that we wanted to change, that we spent the months before Haven was born focusing on taking out walls, peeling carpet off of the original wood floors, throwing away old stuff that the previous owners had left, taking down the old, dilapidated chimney...and then Haven decided that she wanted to be born five weeks early. ;) We were hoping to be in our house before she came, but she was in a hurry!  Thanks to the Lord, and our wonderful family and friends who pitched in, we were able to move out of our little apartment and into our house only a few weeks behind schedule. 

My heart melts with all those memories. 

*sigh*

But anyways 

Are you ready for the "after?" I sure was.



I'm still blown away by how much this space has changed!



I am a girly girl. 

Ethan is a total man. 

I decided that somewhere in our house I should probably pay homage to his masculinity, so this wall in our bedroom does exactly that. He actually has five deer heads, a giant salmon and a zillion turkey fans, but he was kind enough to tell me that I didn't have to use them anywhere in the house if I didn't like them. Lucky for him, I think deer heads can be dressed up to be tasteful and rustic. ;) 

Ethan helped me rip out all of the old shelving, then I painted, and painted and painted what was left, then added some fresh, new handles to the drawers. 

I was going to make some leafy, green arrangements for underneath the deer heads, but these battery operated candle boxes were a super good deal at the Homegoods store. I may add some details to them in the future, but for now, they're perfect. 


I wanted an organic, natural, somewhat whimsical look for this corner, beside the bed. 
Think fairyland. 

This basket was another Homegoods find. I spray painted the "tree" gold, added battery operated fairy lights, some dried moss, and voila!


I love the look of toile florals. I actually found this comforter online, and dressed it up a little with some big, white euro shams from Homegoods. (Me and that store have a pleasant relationship.) 


I actually based a lot of my decisions for this room on  these gorgeously ruffled, "antique blue" curtains. Ethan and my Mother In Law bought these for me after I put them on my Christmas list one year. They are such a dream. 

                   And here's my little family out mattress shopping after church last Sunday ;) 

We found one mattress that we absolutely adore, but it's seriously Five thousand dollars. 

Five. Thousand.

You've got to be kidding me. 

So the search for a softer mattress continues ;) 

What do you think of our Master Bedroom Makeover? Please, please let me know down in the comments - I would love to hear from you! 

8 comments:

Ashli said...

Your room is so pretty, Anna! I love how you used the deer heads--those are really nice.

Anonymous said...

The before pictures are unreal. I totally forgot what it was beforehand. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Love how you added the masculine touch but kept the very feminine touches so true to you as well. Sooo elegant! Love it. You are an amazing decorator.
~Mom

Aunt Marti said...

Love it Anna, hope to come down and see it in person someday, Aunt Marti

Sarah C. said...

Wow, Anna! What a transformation! I love your decorating style. :) Also, we just bought our new mattress on Wayfair and we love it! I can send you the link if you’re interested 😉

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, Anna!
From Becky C.

Sheila McComas said...

Too bad you live so far away!!! My son & his wife manage a mattress store in MO and she sells awesome mattresses very highly discounted!
She had a $3200 one for $750 recently!

Bethany Pilger said...

Wow Anna. You’ve captured my dreams and made them into a bedroom style! *sobs
Really. I’m swooning over here! Amazing job!

Anna said...

You all are so kind! Thank you for stopping by.

Aunt Marti: You're welcome at any time!! I would love to have you here!