Monday, February 17, 2020

WHEN GOD CRIES | THE DAY MY LITTLE BOY DIED


"...Oh God...How do I comprehend this?"

The room was so still. I stared at the gray hospital walls with an aching numbness fogging my brain.

"...Oh...my baby." 

I looked down at the little form in my hands. So still. So perfect. So complete.

"How do all the prayers, and promises, and hope that I lived for in these past months...how do they lay here in this little blanket, so still and cold?"

My little boy. He was so perfect on the ultrasound screen the day before. I couldn't believe how perfect he was; couldn't wait to take the picture home and show Ethan.

Now here he is. Here he isn't. Born to early to live.

"...God how? How do I get over this? How do I make this ache stop?"

Hushed tones, a knock at the door...I knew the time had come.

I handed my son to the nurse for the last time, and everything inside me died, as she cradled him in her hands and took him away from me.

"...Oh God..   ...Oh my baby..."

I wept.

There are some things that the human mind cannot comprehend. Some questions that there are no natural answers for. "Why was my little boy born alive and complete, only to lay over my heart and die?" "How is God good when you beg Him to save your baby and He doesn't?" "Is God really in control, if He takes the child that He promised that I'd hold after so many months of praying to get pregnant?"

"...I trust you Lord...I can't understand this...but I know you're good." 

Riding home that night, exhausted and aching to our very souls, a song came over the stereo. We looked at each other and knew it was for us.

"Bowing to your will
Before your throne of grace,
Though enemies surround me
There is so safer place
Than surrender...I surrender.

This is not my battle,
This is not my war,
I don't have to worry 
Or fight it anymore...

You have gone before me
And I will sing Your song, 
Trusting in the victory 
You've already won...

...It's yours....Amen." 

Only heaven will reveal the complete answer to why this incredible hurt has to be a part of our story; but with all my heart, I believe that the reasons we cannot see are bigger than any question the human mind can hold.

Why did this happen? Because the Father has a plan, and His ways are higher than mine.

How is God good, when He allows this kind of torment in our lives? Because He is. Our physical and mental perception of "Good" cannot grasp the kindness and love of our Heavenly Father.

He is, after all, a Father - knowing what His children can handle; knowing what the future would have held with our little boy, and knowing now, what it will be without him. As a child must trust his mother and father when he doesn't understand, so I must trust my Heavenly Father, though I don't understand.

Is God in control? Undeniably. I see His hand in my physical recovery, in the funeral arrangements that fell together in an instant - in the three times that He obviously and perfectly spared my family's lives in the last week...I'm here and at rest, because of His strength. Over and over He reminds me in simple ways that He loves me, and that this is for His glory.

Days passed quickly, and after all the whirlwind of planning and arranging the funeral for our child, we stole away from the crowd one last time, and went quietly back up the hill to his little grave; beneath the cross.

I knelt down beside him and laid my hand on the earth above his casket. Everything inside me crumbled. I wanted to get him out; to hold him one more time. Was he cold? Was he hungry? Was he lonely? All of my momma instincts clawed at my heart, while my spirit wrestled against them, knowing he was alright.

We went home and willed ourselves through the rest of the day. It wasn't until some time later, in a quiet moment, that I began to remember the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

 Days before Jesus had slowly walked to that weary little home in Bethany, He had known that death was coming. He knew that the friend whom He loved was suffering. He knew Lazarus' family was grieving and confused. He was not unaware or immune to the hurt, but He knew that this painful chapter in their lives would serve a deeper and greater purpose than immediate healing ever could.

Finally making His way to the graveside, at the Father's command, He was not callous or hardened to the weeping sisters. He understood the overwhelming ache of their broken hearts and He felt the pain that seemed to swallow up every hope for the future.

Even knowing that this was "For the glory of God", He came to the grave of His friend, and wept.

And in that quiet moment, I realized that Ethan and I were not the only ones whose hearts were breaking, alone in that hospital room. Even though this has been done "That the glory of God might be accomplished" in some way, I believe that we were not the only ones there, weeping over our perfect child, as his heart finally stopped beating, and death crept over his tiny form.

I wonder if Jesus wasn't wiping the tears from the His eyes as he gently received the spirit of my baby and held it to His heart.

"Grave, where is your victory?"

How could I not Love a God like this?

He cares, friends. And no matter what you're going through, or how dark your day might seem, know that His love is greater, and His reasons are greater, and His plans for you are greater than whatever valley He is leading you through.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me..."





5 comments:

Jared said...

Anna,

This is beautifully written. Many things you said are right in line with a sermon I preached on Wednesday. Christ empathizes with all of our hurt because he has felt them himself. He came to earth in flesh for this very reason, so that he might understand all that we go through. I'm so proud of the way you and Teek have clung even more to God and each other through all of this. I know Wynn is looking down smiling with pride that he has such great parents. We love you all and are here if you need anything.

Amy Finley said...

There is no harder thing than a mommy to go through. I speak from experience. When questions of why fill your mind, trust Gods will. When I recall the most tragic moments in my life losing our little girl, who was born at 20 weeks, I can only remember that Gods grace carried me through the, I cant do this,I want my baby, I cant quit crying...ect.. I was told by many that God knows best. And yes, I believed that with everything in me. That didn't stop the grief. Little did I know that God wouldn't show me the why until 14 years later. His plan is perfect. Even if you don't see it for a long time, trust His plan. You,Ethan and family have been heavily in our prayers. When your strength is gone, let Him carry you. I love you.

Kristen said...

Oh Anna, you are such an encouragement to me ❤️ I pray that the Lord will bless you immensely for your faithfulness

Anonymous said...

That is so sad, Anna I am so sorry to hear this, I know it must be harder then I could ever imagine, I will be praying for you and your family, just know that you are not alone, I know it can be so hard to understand God's will for us and why He takes people away, (My Mum lost two babies to miscarriages, which was hard to understand she had eight babies just fine, why didn't those two get to live too?) and a dear friend of our family gave birth to a beautiful still born baby girl in September, which was really hard for us. I don't know if this comment will help or not I sorry if it doesn't I just want you to know that you are not alone and I will praying for you.
-Rose

Anonymous said...

I too have walked this path. We put our infant son into the hands of our capable loving Father. I felt every emotion again as I read your post. Like King David of old, I will go to him one day. Meanwhile, our Father walks us through the darkest valleys and bring healing, light and hope. Blessings to you, sweet mama. Your child is not lost, just awaiting your arrival after a well-lived life. ❤