Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What They're Singing About

"Had a little talk with Jesus, and I told Him all about my troubles..."

"Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee..."

"Pass me not, Oh gentle Savior..."

"My faith looks up to thee..."

We sing them so often - at least I do. Sometimes it's absent-mindedly, while I'm busy with my work, sometimes I sing them as prayers. I've come to realize that it's only when we've actually "Had a little talk" with Jesus ourselves and completely emptied ourselves out before Him that we can know the true meaning of these songs.

Sometimes we get tired. Sometimes we fall flat in our relationship with God. Sometimes we don't have energy to go on doing what needs to be done. Sometimes we get prickly - away from our source of replenishing rain, like a cactus in the desert. Sometimes it feels like we can't give anymore. It's not fair. It's too hard - but there's no escaping these mountains.

That's when we need to stop - in the middle of our busyness, our "unforgivable weakness", the exhaustion of emptiness, all of our worries about "why it can't be" - and humble ourselves before God.

Be honest. He wants to know your cares. Tell Him everything - stay until all else fades away. "You'll begin to lift up. That'll make you what you should be." Let Him re-fill you with himself, let His peace settle your heart. Be still and know that He is God - the One who divided the red sea, the One who's always been watching you, the One who can heal, the One who conquered death, hell and the grave at Calvary - the One who knows your needs and loves to give His children good things.

You may not get an answer right away, but you can know that "He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." There's peace in knowing the answers are on the way. You can rise up with new strength, new joy, new peace and face the impossibilities that stand in your path. You can know that Someone much stronger than you is your source of strength, your hiding place, your keeper who always keeps His promises.

I know - He did that for me just today.

                   Trust Him.

3 comments:

Bethany d said...

I love singing - and music. It's definitely the best way for me to express myself. Maybe this is awkward - but I sing my prayers...talking is just words...music is words emotion. So whether it's singing or just pounding my thoughts out via piano keys...I know God hears...and understands.

The Brunette in the Kitchen said...

Nothing but the truth :) Great post, Miss Pyatskowit!

Anna said...

Thanks, Grace :)

@ Bethany - Really?! I do the same thing (as long as nobody else is listening.) :D I didn't know anyone else did that.