Tuesday, June 25, 2013

When God is Quiet

I know you're faithful, Lord. I know you're real. I don't feel or hear or see anything, but I know You'll come through for me.

Sound familiar?

Yes. Trust is a hard lesson.

Before I found out, I assumed that when there were troubles in a Christian's life, She could just "overcome" in the snap of a finger. "God will get you through - keep smilin'!"

As time went on (and believe me, it wasn't for very long) I began to see something. Trials aren't easy - otherwise, they wouldn't mold your character much, would they?

Christian life is a rugged thing - not scattered with a couple easy hurtles, but filled with "toils and snares." Legitimate, huge, impossible ones.

 As the shadows began to stretch long and longer before me and God seemed nowhere to be found during my devotions,  I began to wonder - "Lord, is something wrong with me?"

And then the truth dawned. What about Job? Faithful and perfect when his whole, beautiful, prospering life crumbled into a million jagged pieces that grieved him day and night. God allowed Satan torment him - and, believe me, Job wasn't dancing for joy on that ash heap.

His kids were gone, his cattle were gone, his sheep were gone, his wife wanted him to curse God and die. His health was gone and his friends were sure that he had committed some secret sin. What's worse, when Job sought God - Job; who had been so faithful to the Lord - he couldn't find Him anywhere.

"Oh, that I had never been born" - Doesn't sound like he was terribly thrilled; but, turns out,  God remained silent because He loved Job and was proving how faithful he was.

God isn't cruel. God isn't unkind. God isn't mistaken. God doesn't lie. He doesn't ask you to carry more than you can take - which means He has confidence in you when the hardest thing you've ever faced is planted firmly in your path.

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivereth Him out of them all."

But, Lord, I can't feel you!

"I will not leave thee nor forsake thee."

But it's been so long!

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."

But I've prayed so hard and You haven't answered me!

"I reward those who dilligently seek me."

How can I get through this?! I don't think I'll make it.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil..."

There's a verse for just about everything you have need of - if you're worried, if you need healing, if you  need forgiveness, if you're feeling alone, if you need clothes, if you're out of money, if it looks like God's never going to come through - Trust in the Lord. He has good things in mind.

I know, because yesterday the Lord encouraged me in my own waiting period in a very special way.
He doesn't lie. He loves to give you good things - maybe He just wants to test your faith in Him. Maybe He's reminding Satan that He does have faithful sons and daughters on the earth who won't back down.

                                                             Take courage.

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

No comments: