Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What Christmas Means For Me ((Guest Post))

In the Christian World, you hear a lot of protest over too much commercialization. There are lots of signs that echo the refrain, "Put Christ back in Christmas!", many parents teach their children how Jesus, and not Santa Clause, is the real reason for the season, and still a few souls try to keep their focus on the Savior instead of going google-eyed in the glare of Christmas lights and drooling over coveted presents.

This is all well and good, I'm all for it! But I want to go deeper than that. Even more than appreciating the sacrifice and light that's been brought to the whole world, I want to focus on what Christmas means for one person. What it means for the individual - you and me.

To do this, I'd like to start with a story.

When I was a little girl, around five, I was sitting next to my mom in church. I listened to the pre-service music and watched my grandpa sing softly in his chair on the platform. Turning my head, I looked at my curly-headed sister playing quietly with her crayons. I squirmed, looked around some more, then stretched my neck up to Momma's ear and whispered, "I love you." Mom smiled back, then bent down and whispered, "I love you too, Anna." We were silent once more, waiting for service to start. But, strangely, mom leaned down again. "Do you know, that even if I didn't love you; if nobody loved you, that Jesus still would?"

Read the rest of the story on Emily Rachelle's blog

No comments: