Sunday, June 28, 2015

To the Bride

They printed my invitations pink and purple.

Two hundred and thirty dollars for pink and purple invitations.

Pink.

And.

Purple.


The weddingness of my week had not been going well at all. There was a conundrum with the dress, I had to order invitations three times, not to mention the issues with my veil, and some crazy-busy non-wedding-things that added to the pressure.

I needed to breathe.

But there really wasn't time for that.

After calling my sweet fiance and drowning him in my overwhelmed WHADAMIGONNADO moment, his solution was simple. "It's going to be okay, Anna. You get some sleep - but promise me you'll read a scripture before you go to bed."

I promised.

Paging through the new testament I found a chapter. Suddenly there it was, in all it's simplicity: Ask what you will.


"Wow. That's nice," I thought.

I flipped over to a different book. (Luke, I think). Again, it read; "Ask what you will."

And the light dawned. In essence, I was hearing straight from the Lord. "Anna, stop falling apart over things that I can handle. I care. Let me make your joy full again. Don't let this bring you down and steal the happiness I've given you."

Exactly right. Girls - being engaged is such an amazing thing; knowing you get to spend the rest of your life with your dream-come-true, hearing his voice on the phone every night, making plans together and, really, just loving - is what this stage is all about. Don't let the wedding, ((in all it's fairy-tale glory,)) mess that up.

I finally came to that realization after a week of over-thinking everything. Sunday service brought me back to the real focus of it all. Namely: God and God's plans for me; what God calls important.

Think about it. What does His plan entail for you? You and your man enjoying every minute of being engaged, or you being an exhausted mess because the seamstress hemmed your dress crooked?

We say: "Yes...but..."


Ask what you will.

"But, Lord, they said..."

Ask what you will.


"BUT THIS IS A BIG DEAL!!"

Ask what you will.

When you know you're in God's vindicated path for your life, no matter what obstacle (be it an awful printing job, discouraging remarks, whatever) you can go forward, pray, and laugh it off. As God once told Abraham, face to face; "Is anything too hard for the Lord to do?"

Nope.

So do yourself a favor and go with the flow. Focus on your man and your marriage.
Relax.
Do your best.
Let God work His wonders.

Don't let yourself stress. Skip all that drama and keep the added pressure off of your fiance and your family. (Remember going nuts doesn't affect just you.)

Make it a point to enjoy every single minute of this weddingishness - it only happens once!



John 16:24

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

(33) These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.


4 comments:

Bethany d said...

Right now I can relate.
*big sigh*
Sitting drumming my fingers trying to resolve job conflict, get sleep, find my elusive wedding dress floating around in the middle of the ocean, organize my super messy workspace, conveniently remember to register for a marriage license, go to counseling, etc, etc, etc....ALWAYS something new.
This post was for me. Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! All things work together for good. These trials and tests are a tool in God's hands. He uses them to perfect us.

Unknown said...

You should definitely make lots of notes during this process and compile a 'How to Stay Calm While Planning a Wedding' handbook! :)

Elisabeth@Treasuring the Moments said...

Beautiful. Yes, enjoy these moments so they are remembered with fondness. :)