Monday, August 20, 2018

WELCOME BASKET | STRIPES + EUCALYPTUS




This post could easily be titled: "WHY WE DON'T THROW AWAY SCRAP FABRIC."

I'm so super excited that my Dad will be here with us for the week! He's helping my cousin move to Raleigh, so we were able to snag him for a few days of visiting and catching up.

Any time we have company from out of state, I like to put together a welcome basket for them - especially since they usually stay in a little cabin close to our house.  It's good to have a few "just in case" snacks for midnight emergencies ;) 

This project takes no special talent whatsoever, but here's a little peek at what I did. 


It started with this basket from Dollar General and a few leaves from the wreath in the kitchen. 

<I suppose tearing apart pre-made floral masterpieces from Target might seem a tad reckless, but...>


Then I went digging through my scrap fabric drawer and found some striped ribbon...it made my heart happy. I wanted to pair it with a brown paper bag...

Wouldn't you know it: I didn't have any small brown paper bags. I ended up cutting apart a giant Olive Garden bag from our last date night and glueing it back together. It ended up being the perfect cover for some M&M's that I wrapped in a party-favor bag.

<The newer, cuter Olive Garden bag is on the right hand side of the basket, peeking out of the tissue paper, below. >



That center, polka-dotted thingy is actually a packet of gum, wrapped in **drumroll** more scrap fabric. I left the bottom of the fabric-turned-wrapping-paper open, so the contents can slide out easily. <Otherwise you could spend quite a while trying to rip apart my glued-in seams. || Because I hate to sew || >

I also tucked in two weensy packs of peanut butter crackers and a little "So happy you've come to visit" sort of note, along with some more leaves from my kitchen wreath.

I love  projects that can bring a smile to someone, and make them feel cared for. Time and thought go a long way now days; people are hungry for an "I care" message that goes further than a quick note on a Facebook wall or a fast text from your iPhone. 

Time and Thought can change lives. Not even kidding.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so cute! and a really good idea I will have to keep that in mind, but right now my whole family lives less then a hour from each other so.... yeah not many overnight visits:)
-Rose

Rebecca Pyatskowit said...

aw I wish I could have come with Dad and got peanut butter crackers! Miss you. How do you make such awesome DIYS??

Anonymous said...

He will love it! So very thoughtful and it turned out so nice! Thankful you get to spend some time together, just wish I could be there too.
~Mom

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you
will be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark
your blog and will come back someday. I want to encourage you to continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let youu know a few of the images
aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why butt I think its
a linking issue. I've tried it in two different ihternet browsers aand both show the
same results.

Anna said...

Thanks guys!!!!