Monday, March 26, 2018

Reminder | Journal

I should be cleaning out the bathroom closet while my littles are asleep. I should be folding the laundry in the dryer. I should be grocery shopping. But sometimes, one must make little exceptions. It's good to be still and drink tea - and play with sidewalk chalk in the driveway, actually.

It's been one of those mornings. Those. 

The kind where Haven declares that she doesn't want breakfast this morning with a confident little "No." Her eyes are squinty, her lips are pursed, and she really doesn't. 

One of those. 

And the kind where Hope and Haven both want to occupy the same seat at the same time (namely, my lap). While I'm on the phone. 

One of those. 

The kind where Haven opens the dishwasher door by herself and takes a lick of the detergent. #heart attack

One of those. 

The kind where I'm supposed to be grocery shopping, have a piano lesson to teach, laundry waiting and projects galore.

One of those.

"Haven, Mommy has things to do..."

But apparently we all need a little therapy after this morning, so I just laugh at the brimming clothes bin, and lay Hope down for a nap. I stack my lists and menus in a pile and grab the sidewalk chalk out of the closet. 

The sun shines down like time limits don't exist. Haven picks flowers, forgetting all about cabinet emptying and dishwasher soap. I breathe. breathe. breathe the blessed fresh air and forget all about everything but letting her be little. 

And in some, unexplainable way, I know this is the best choice. Mommy's intuition, I guess. She needs me here, covered in chalk dust on the concrete. She needs me to put her on the top of my list, even if that means cancelling everything else on it. 

As many times as I use the words "Adjust" and "Reconsider" and "Reprioritize", I always feel a little guilty for not finishing my intended tasks, but moments like these remind me that God gave me her for my intended task. Feelings before Finishing. Security before Shopping. She needs to feel safe in my love and grow up knowing that someone will always be there to understand when she's not perfect. 

Somehow though, she always will be...in my eyes.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this post<3

- Rose

Anonymous said...

“Selfless” Love is beautiful and very rare in today’s society. Such an important part of being a Mom. You are an amazing mother!

Anna said...

Rose, your comments are always so encouraging. Really appreciate your input, girl!

Anna said...

Dear Anonymous -

Thank you. Every day is a new adventure for us. That, and a learning process 😂

Anonymous said...

You will never regret the time you spend making your girls feel loved, and secure !! I remember spending many mornings just like this 🙂 Taking the time when it felt like I didn’t have the time. Loving, nurturing, and giving every ounce of my strength to three little girls who needed their momma. They aren’t little anymore, but the bond we have today is worth every minute that I spent loving them !!!