Friday, September 20, 2013

Non-Morning-Person vs. Morning

 
This is absolutely THE WORST part of my house-keeping challenge. It's that time of year again and when I get up, the mornings are still dark and coldish...perfect for burrowing under the blankets and catching an extra fifteen minutes of sleep....or 60, you never know. ;)

I've dragged myself out of bed at the very reasonable hour of 7:00 a.m., thinking woeful thoughts while I thumped down the dark, cold basement stairs to sort the laundry.

I don't want to get up.
I don't want to do the laundry.
I don't want to make breakfast.
I don't want to get dressed - this bathrobe is warm, for heaven's sake!
I just want to go back to bed. For a long, long, long time.

But I didn't go to bed.

I put on the laundry.
I made breakfast.
I got dressed.

And as I pushed through the morning routine, I suddenly realized that it wasn't that bad - I was only "exhausted" and "in desperate need of sleep" for about an hour. So every morning (when I haul my sleepy self myself out of bed) I tell myself, "Anna, just do the next thing...in an hour you'll be cheerful, chipper and energized." And my fingers mechanically sort lights from darks, put on the tea and soon...whadayaknow, I'm laughing and smiling as if tired mornings never existed.

I'm finding that "Do the next thing" is one of the most important parts of household running and schedule juggling. It all gets done eventually - and it almost never takes as long to do a chore as you think it will.

There. My sermon for the day ;)


How's life on your end of cyber space?

No comments: