Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Peaceful Homes:: (Can Be applied to babysitting as well)

Ever had one of those mornings when you've arisen in a zombie-like state (after a rough night's sleep), stubbed your toe on the side of the bed, realized that you had nothing in your closet that would work for today, slogged through breakfast, tried to scramble through school and then...as interruption after interruption came you were just ready to shout: "I can't take it anymore!"

Well, friend, if you've ever wondered about how to avoid scenarios such as this one when you're not the harried teenager but the harried mother of two toddlers and the mistress of a large house, this post is for you. What's more, you can start practicing now.

I've recently watched a video (part one of it) called the "Peaceful Home." It offered practical advice, some of which I will share in the 1. 2. 3. method.

Behold. The 1.2.3. method.

1. Get up early in the morning and get dressed. It helps immensely with getting things done.
2. Teach the children to pick up after themselves.
3. Only tell your child(ren) to do "such-and-such" one time, in a calm tone of voice. Repeated commands, "the countdown" and shouting teach the child that he doesn't have to obey until "Mom gets closer to "three" or that "Dad doesn't really mean it until his voice gets a smidgen higher and he says it two more times."
4. Make eye contact with the child when saying "no".
5. "No," and "come" should be first two words your child learns to obey.

According to my own experiences, all of these steps to having a peaceful home seem legitimate. Getting up early in order to get things done will have school and chores done far earlier in the day than when one slowly arises at 8:30.

 Not waddling around in my housecoat and slippers at noon makes me feel more productive and lively.

As far as teaching children to pick up after themselves, I can see the benefits of this step, but haven't mastered it as of yet. Perhaps, because I don't fill the ultimate "mommy" role in our household.
.
The third and fourth steps, as far as I've taken them in the past, really work well. (Try 'em next time you babysit.) One should be brimming with self-confidence and I, at least, use a tone that informs the offender that I'm being serious. (No yelling allowed, though.)

I've had little experience in this sort of child training, :D but the fifth step sounds reasonable.

The thing that I would add though, is that the right atmosphere should be created in the home. If you create a grouchy/overwhelmed "Hurry up! Hop out of the way, mommy's trying to get this done! Suzie, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH THIS MORNING?" type of atmosphere, the everybody else tends to fall into it. On the other hand, if you sing as you work (praising God helps to get rid of the blues) and don't let your pile of laundry, dirty living room and stack of dishes clobber your cheerfulness, they will fall into that atmosphere. Let the presence of God be in your home.

What do y'all think or have to say? Any helpful experiences you'd like to share?

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

You know what's funny? My friend just told me about a book called 1,2,3, (I think) It's how to use counting when disciplining your child. My friend observed a lady she babysits for with her children and asked her how she raised her children to obey so well. The lady attributed her success to this book.

I agree with you... if they can obey the second time, they can obey the first time.

Anonymous said...

Anna, would you take papaw and train him all over again? Who knows what will happen the second time around!!!...I think all the suggestions you talked about are good ones, and will make a much more peaceful home. love ya!! Mamaw